Kyle Busch, a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, died Thursday after being hospitalized with what his family called a “severe illness.” He was 41.
“We are devastated to announce the sudden and tragic passing of Kyle Busch,” his family, NASCAR and Richard Childress Racing said in a joint statement. “Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch. A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation.”
Busch, originally from Las Vegas, holds the record for most wins in the top three NASCAR divisions, and won Cup Series championships in 2015 and 2019. He was in his fourth season at Richard Childress Racing after winning titles with Joe Gibbs Racing.
According Richard Childress Racing, Buch has 63 wins in the NASCAR Cup Series and held an all-time NASCAR record with 19 consecutive seasons with a victory from 2004 to 2023.
“Throughout a career that spanned more than two decades, Kyle set records in national series wins, won championships at NASCAR’s highest level and fostered the next generation of drivers as an owner in the Truck Series,” the statement said. “His sharp wit and competitive spirit sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age, creating the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation.’ Our thoughts are with Samantha, Brexton and Lennix, Kyle and Samantha’s parents, Kurt and all of Kyle’s family, Richard and Judy Childress, everyone at Richard Childress Racing, his teammates, friends and fans. NASCAR lost a giant of the sport today, far too soon.”
We are saddened and heartbroken to share the news of the passing of Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup champion and one of our sport’s greatest and fiercest drivers. He was 41 years old.
We extend our deepest condolences to the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and the entire… pic.twitter.com/FARIF6OKrw
— NASCAR (@NASCAR) May 21, 2026
Kyle Busch, the two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, has been hospitalized.
41-year-old Busch was supposed to compete in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Sunday (May 24th). But earlier today (May 21st), his family released a statement on social media announcing he will no longer be able to participate in the event.
The Busch family’s statement reads, “Kyle has experienced a severe illness resulting in hospitalization.” They noted that “He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway.”
The statement didn’t go into any further detail about Busch’s illness. His loved ones asked for fans to respect their privacy “as our family navigates this situation.”
See the Busch family’s statement below.
Busch has been married to his wife, Samantha, since 2010. They share two children: a son, Brexton Locke (age 11), and a daughter, Lennix Key (age 4).
Richard Childress Racing Names Kyle Busch’s Substitute In The Coca-Cola 600
Richard Childress Racing announced that Austin Hill will step up to serve as Busch’s substitute during the Coca-Cola 600 on May 24th.
“Kyle Busch’s health is our upmost priority and he and his family have the full resources of RCR behind them,” RCR said in a statement on social media. “Kyle is an integral part of our organization and we wish him a safe and speedy recovery. His No. 8 Chevrolet will be ready and waiting for him.”
RCR continued to say, “We’re thankful to Austin Hill for stepping in to drive the No. 8 Chevrolet this weekend. Please keep Kyle and the Busch family in your prayers, and help us respect the family’s privacy at this time.“
This is Busch’s fourth season with RCR.
As the Associated Press details, Busch currently ranks 24th in the Cup Series standings. He has earned two Top 10 finishes in 12 races so far this season.



























































